This is one of my favorite things to do! I love giving you sweet friends tips on organizing your pantry, or any other spaces that seem to gather a bit of clutter. I’m obsessed with organizing things! Actually, I love to consolidate things and put them in pretty bins with a label. (the same thing right?) I’m going to show you how I do this for your pantry, and other cluttery spaces so let’s get started.
first things first in organizing your pantry, let’s get real you have to know who you are… do you love to cook do you like to just open the door to the pantry and throw things in? Do you like to take time to put things in containers and get rid of the huge over packaging that Costco loves to embrace? Seriously if you hate taking things out of the box and putting them in a pretty bin then don’t do it. This has to work with your family and how you want to live. Organizing your pantry is not particularly hard it just takes a bit of time and willingness to get rid of extra stuff.
1. First, you have to take everything out of the space. I mean everything. this is going to make a big mess but I promise it will be worth it! (disregard my corny face I get a little excited about this)
2. wash down the whole space sweep dust whatever you need to do to make it sparkle and smell pretty. A little plug for my favorite place to get cleaning products GROVE COLLABORATIVE your welcome!
3. Decide what you want where. Do you reach for the cereal every day? do you need to access your baking supplies on a weekly basis? do you have to have all this nonfood stuff right in the middle of the pantry? Think about how you eat and what you cook and put those things in the middle, easiest access part of the cupboard. Organizing your pantry or other spaces is about using the prime restate for what you use most.
The bottom of the pantry is great for big things like boxes of chips from Costco, dog food, bins of potatoes and onions, and extra shopper bags. You have to use every single space while organizing your pantry. The top of the pantry is fabulous for things like party trays overstock of bulk items like paper plates and silverware, (but please label the shelf so you don’t forget they are there) and things you only get to during holidays.
4. make piles of all “like” things and start weeding out the almost gone, expired, and stuff you just don’t eat. If you bought Quinoa because you started a diet two years ago and haven’t opened the package get rid of it! only keep what you love to eat and what you need to keep in this space.
5. figure out if you need bins and how many. I love to have clear handle bins that you can pull out and set on the counter that contains multiple things like granola bars face cream, (whatever) to look through, that way I feel like I can come home from the store and still just throw things in the cupboard but they go into a bin where I know exactly where I can find it. The container part might be a bit of an investment but hey you will have this stuff forever and it even moves with you right? I’m loving these OXO containers from TARGET and THE CONTAINER STORE. They seal nicely and have a lifetime grantee.
6. Grab a diet Mt. Dew and go out and purchase your bins you can’t do this in the beginning because you need to know what you are going to be putting where so…. the pantry might be a bit messy for a few more hours or till the next the day, don’t panic. You could go out and grab a ton of stuff then just return what you don’t use I do this a lot with clients because time is very valuable!
7. The fun part is about to begin putting everything back into the space you have provided for it, and then Label it!!! Also put things into bins like the bags of cereal and sugar oats etc…. as you go.
8. Hello, you are done you have the most beautfiul organized pantry! …. except now you have a pile of stuff that you need to find a new home for. Don’t worry if you love it enough you will find a home for those extra serving platters, if not toss, donate or give to your sister.
You do the same thing with a bathroom, office space, or closet just use the same steps! Grab a friend cause its always easier to throw things out when someone is seeing your junk I mean stuff. It’s empowering I promise!