Getting organized for the holidays happens early around here. With lots of boy teenagers living under my roof I feel I need to get be extra vigilant in keeping things fairly under control. Ok maybe under control isn’t the right word, (lets try ‘not) looking like a bomb went off’. Do you feel like I do that when the holidays roll around things get a little crazy messy and well out of control, or is it just me? Let me show you a few things I do to get organized for the holidays.
2. Go through everything that was in the closet and put it piles, one to donate one to put back and one to relocate. Every client coat closet is different, some people need this space for lots of things. Others need it only for coats. I suggest that this space be used for coats, jackets, purses and essential outdoor things. But here is a closet in a very small apt. that needs to store more than just coats. If its going to be a multi purpose closet you might need to add shelves.
For me their is lots of other places in the house for things like Christmas decorations, kid toys, piano music, and dog clothes. (just a few things I found in my closet while cleaning it out) LOL! We live in a cold state UT, and coats are my weakness but when I realized that i had shoved a dozen coats into that space and still had more in my master closet I was a little embarrassed! Nobody needs that many coats! I would limit it to three coats per person in your family, my kids only have two each so I feel I can use some of their space right? I may have kept 6 coats.
(the photo above was my get rid pile)
3. Now that your coats are under control you need to put the outdoor accessories in order. I have a bin for gloves, scarves, and one for hats. In the summer they are stored up on the top shelf. In the winter when the kids and I are needing gloves every day they live on the floor of the closet. My closet is perfect for three bins to line up on the floor. The kids can toss their gloves into the bin when they come in (I can dream right?) I have also used bins under my bench in the entry to put extra gloves and hats but i felt my kids were old enough to put them away properly this year. We will see how that works out in January.
4. Now when it comes to purses I do love to horde them. There is nothing as fabulous as a pretty functional bag. But again people, how many does one person need? I love to change mine out frequently but some of you just like one that you use year round. Hooks on the door are perfect for you bags. Store your off season and travel bags in a bin up top. As you can see in the photo below its time to change out my summer bags for winter ones Pronto!
5. Label label label every bin needs a label! Is that clear enough LOL. I have even been known to label the coat closet floor so that my kids can see where their backpack are suppose to go. Don’t judge it works! when your hubby and kids can read where things go then things will go back in that spot! Ok most of the time. Here is another photo of a closet that i just loved from printrest I think its from the blog memyselfndiy. I loved how she used crates with labels and a vintage rack for each kids gloves! very cute.
6. lastly there will be things in this closet that have no were else to live like a vacuum or a 72 hour kit. That’s fine as long as they fit and your not cramming the vacuum in over all the kids backpacks. I have to admit that my vacuum is usually out some where in a kids room or dinning room but in the rare moment when i can put it away its down in my storage room where its out of the way and can leave my tinny coat closet full of all my many coats!! Here is closet that has her vacuum stored with her coats. Notice how she has her little kids coats in the middle so that they don’t pulled out when she grabs the vacuum. Brilliant.
Hope these little tips will inspire you to make room for your families coats this year. Be brave its a small space and will only take you a hour or two to tackle this little corner of your house! Feel free to email me if you live in the Salt Lake area I’d love to help you with your home organization. email@example.com And Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram @theglitzypear
OK. So on this side of the closet, I have my dry cleaning bag and I love keeping it in this coat closet because I go inside this closet every single day to grab something whether it’s in the winter or the summer.