The first step is to an organized closet is to declutter!!! I mean take everything out and get rid of everything that makes you look fat, doesn’t feel right, is outdated (no it won’t come back anytime soon) or has holes, stains, or is ugly. Tough love people is the best way to live in an organized space.
Next here are some super random tips that I give to all my clients. Some you might roll your eyes at, and most of my clients usually do! But once they follow them, they are no longer laughing at me. So give some of these tips a try, and I promise, if you laugh at them, I won’t be offended!
1. The curve of the hanger should be facing you. Unless your are hanging your clothes backwards and turning them around when you wear your things. (a tip for people who can’t get rid of anything)
2. All your clothing should be going the same direction. Its easier to see it that way think of clothing stores.
3. Make sure you clothes are not inside out before you hang them up.
4. Hang you pants folded on a hanger or if you have a long hanging area then on pant hanger not folded it will save space.
5. Make sure you can reach everything you hang up in your closet. if you can’t then get a stool so that you can.
6. Try to keep seasonal clothing in your closet all year long. It gives you a better visual for what you actually have. Even if you box up your winter coats and pants keep them in bins on your top shelf. ( how to switch your clothes for the seasons)
7. Store a bag for donations in your closet, This makes it easy for you to get rid of things that don’t fit, or you no longer like and need. 8. use wall space for hooks, you can hang hats, jewelry , purses, scarves on all that unused space.
While I love using wood hangers, sometimes the investment just isn’t feasible for your entire wardrobe. That’s perfectly fine! Just use what you have. And try to get matching hangers a little at a time. Unless its the plastic white hangers then you should just get rid of the colored, wire, and store hangers and purchase all white hangers they are so inexpensive! (you can see the difference it makes!!!) The biggest thing about closet organization is to make sure that you can see all your clothes, you can easily access all your clothes, and that you feel good about every item you own. That’s how you will be able to keep and maintain an organized closet!!
Hang your tops by color, but sort by type of top within each color. So an example would be to grab all your white tops. Then, hang your tank tops first. Then t-shirts, followed by quarter-sleeves. Long sleeves are next followed by jackets and sweaters. Or hang by color, but put long sleeves in one area short sleeves next to those. Continue this until you have gone through all the colors of your clothing.
An organized closet is about using the space the best way you can. Dresses should be hung in the space where you have ample space for longer clothing! And keep belts and scarves on hangers, preferably near where the dresses are hanging because there will be room for the length.
If you have shelves in your closet then your organized closet is just a fold away. I love to use shelves to fold bulky jeans, sweaters, and sweats. I also love using shelves for shoes and accessory bins, like hats, scarves or flip flops.
Keeping an organized closet doesn’t take a lot of money just a bit of time and a desire to love everything in your closet space. If you need more ideas here are a few more post I’ve done